“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.” (1 Peter 3:15, NIV)
Early on in the process of developing a mentor training program, our board of directors came to the consensus that there are certain commonalities within the spiritual journeys of all parents with children who have special needs. To that end, the decision was made to develop a tool for mentors to reference — 10 QUESTIONS EVERY MENTOR OF A SPECIAL NEEDS PARENT SHOULD BE PREPARED TO FACE. This piece is a white paper, offering insights to equip mentors for the inevitable questions or roadblocks that they will encounter as they accompany others on their journey. The questions themselves were identified by surveying a large number of parents through social media.
Today, we’ll give an overview of the questions to be addressed. In future posts, we’ll take each question individually, provide a biblical reference point and discuss answers based on those biblical insights. As we walk through this together, spend some time in prayer and quiet contemplation about what God has revealed to your heart regarding these matters.
The 10 questions we’ll be attacking are:
1. WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS?
2. HOW CAN A LOVING GOD ALLOW THIS?
3. IS GOD PUNISHING ME?
4. WHY MY CHILD?
5. WILL MY CHILD GO TO HEAVEN IF THEY NEVER HAVE THE CAPACITY TO ACCEPT CHRIST AS THEIR SAVIOR?
6. WILL MY CHILD UNDERSTAND THE GOSPEL?
7. WAS THIS CHILD AN ACCIDENT?
8. WHY WON’T GOD HEAL MY CHILD?
9. WHAT GOOD CAN COME OUT OF THIS?
10. WILL THINGS EVER GET BETTER?