It’s that time of year again — the time where I rave about the Willow Creek Association Global Leadership Summit. This year’s conference did NOT disappoint! In fact, of the 5 years I have been attending the Summit, I think this year left my leadership the most full. I don’t think there was one speaker I found unhelpful.
Here are some of my favorite quips from this year’s speakers:
- COURAGE is required in every single part of leadership (and can’t be done without God’s help). ~ Bill Hybels
- We all deserve the right kind of stewardship and caring, we are all children of God. ~ Colin Powell
- You’re a CRO a Chief Reminding Officer more than anything. People need reminding more than they need instruction. ~ Patrick Lencioni
- You may have the title, but whose kingdom is it? ~ Chris Brown
- You don’t have to talk people into Jesus. You just lead them to Him. ~ Bob Goff
- You don’t have to be a pastor to make a difference. You can make a difference where you are. ~ Mark Burnett
- Leadership is intentional influence. ~ Joseph Grenny
- If you want to be a leader in the future, you have to adapt to change. ~ Vijay Govindarajan
- Love and belonging are irreducible needs of men, women, and children. In their absence, there is always suffering. ~ Brene Brown
- You have to invest your vision in those that will be there after you are gone. ~ OscarMuriu
- The hardest thing a leader has to be ridiculously in charge of is him or herself. ~ Dr. Henry Cloud
- If you want your leadership to matter, lead in the things that matter to God. ~ Gary Haugen quoted by Gary Schwammlein
- You will never do anything more significant with your life than serving the local church. The local church is the activity of God on this earth and it has been for 2,000 years! ~ Andy Stanley
If I have one complaint about this annual event, it is that I find it difficult to know which excellent idea I should implement first after the conference. Prayerful discernment after such a valuable time of learning is a must. I pray that you will avail yourself of all the post-conference resources as well as attend next year’s Leadership Summit. For more information, visit http://willowcreek.com/events/leadership/.